lunedì 25 novembre 2013

...OT!: something about 30th Firenze Marathon...


Let me change topics for once...
I said I would run the FlorenceMarathon, because I am a marathon runner! So, yesterday was an important date for me, because I was set to run my 16th marathon (the 5th in Florence) and
I was returning from a difficult recovery period of over a year. I started my training in the spring, but had more doubts than usual, and I finished with no definite answers and with a mis-behaving Achille's tendon . A bit of pain is normal, I know, but ... what I noticed more than anything, was that I was slower than usual. Of the twelve thousands runners, fourteen of whom belonging to UISPORT AVIS Todi, my team, with just one non-runner due to a last-minute injury .This wasn't the best organised edition of what I consider to be the most beautiful marathon here in Italy and in the world, and the athletes were packed in far too tightly. Despite this, the festivities began and the great jubilant cheers from the crowds were blessed by the "bell'Alcione" day (a beautiful day in the middle of bad ones), with warm sun and a cool wind. At the half-way point, (21.097) I noticed that I was at least three minutes after my aimed time: I stretched my pace hoping to be able to recover, but at the 28th km I realized it just wasn't my day. I was surrounded by silence, punctuated only by the sound of rhythmic footsteps, like a mantra. Many of the other runners were starting to feel the strain, and the joking stopped. As my friend Max says, you have to run for 35 kms. to reach the start of the Marathon. This is the point where fatigue usually kicks in, and many people drop out. I kept this thought in my mind, and was determined not to get myself into trouble. I gained another minute on each of the last four kilometers. My final time was 4:08, 9 minutes more than I was hoping for, but all in all a good result. I carefully returned to the hotel (two kilometers - by foot...) and joined the others: it was time for the party to begin!

Nessun commento: